The most significant event in my life so far is without a doubt the moment I learned of James Sprake’s passing. On July 12th, the day after my birthday, I decided to go for a jog. This was while I was visiting Michigan for the summer. I was about a half way into my run, when I got a phone call from my mother. This was one of those moments where you remember everything little thing about it: the exact spot where I was standing, the clothes I was wearing, the time of day, the weather, the girls cross country team that passed by. Stopping so I could answer my phone, I instantly noticed that my mom was crying. Prior to this, I had never seen or heard her cry. My stomach churned, for I knew what she was about to tell me was going to be awful. She went on to tell me of James’ accident, and how he had died. It took me about 45 seconds to process those words through my head. I crossed over to the end of the bridge, and laid down on the nearest bed of grass while my mind ran through memories of James. It was about two hours later that I broke down in tears, upon the realization that James is actually gone forever. On my way home, I was shuffling through my ipod, and noticed a playlist James made of all his music while we were in Bali together entitled, “James s**t ni**u!!”. This instantly brought a smile across my face, as I continued my way home listening to his music and thinking about him. Every July 12th, I will commemorate James by going for a run, and stopping and that spot where I received the call from my mom, while I listen to James’ music that he gave me and think about James’ life and all the joys he brought to me and hundreds of others.
No comments:
Post a Comment